Aug 14, 2020 | System Admin | 2819 views
SKMHA Return to Hockey Update - Aug 14
South Kent Minor Hockey is planning to return to the ice in September under the Stage 3B procedures provided by OHF. This 2020-21 hockey season is going to look very different than past seasons. Stage 3B allows for group training and modified game play (3on3, 4on4) with No Physical Contact.
Strict on-ice physical distancing measures are required.
Travel for play is limited to within the Local Public Health Unit.
There is currently no timetable for movement to Stage 3C and beyond.
I’m sure many of our members have questions about procedures at the local arena. (Note: at
this time only the Blenheim Arena is scheduled to be open. We have not received information
about plans for Ridgetown Arena to open)
The following is a brief synopsis of the current procedures. SKMHA will provide a complete
updated process adhering to all policies of OHF, OMHA, Local Public Health Unit, and Municipal
Facilities prior to the season commencing.
- Come to arena dressed (NO dressing rooms)
- Groups will be permitted in building 15 minutes before start of rental
- Masks must be worn when entering the arena
- Enter through front doors, temp will be taken and fill out Covid questionnaire each time you
- Players will be directed to stands side or bench side to put skates on, spots will be marked 6'
- When ready to go on the ice take mask off and put helmet on and wait in mark location until
Zamboni doors are closed (suggested players bring a bag to put mask in while on the ice with
their name on the bag)
- Enter the ice single file remaining 6' apart
- When practice is finished, exit the ice single file remaining 6' apart, take helmet off put mask
on, then remove skates
- Players will be expected to exit arena ASAP out backdoors on either stands side or players
- Players bring their own water bottle clearly labelled with their name
- Dressing rooms and washrooms closed(one washroom available inside for emergency use)
- Parents only allowed in arena to tie skates (must have a mask on) and exit out the back as
soon as they are done (NO spectators, only participants and coaching staffs allowed)
- Parents are asked to park behind the arena when picking up their child
- Arena has purchased a handheld disinfecting fog machine to help sanitize areas in between
- Hand sanitizer stations will be located at the entrance and exits of the arena.
2020-21 Registration Information
Registration deadline is now slated for August 31. Players who do not register and pay fees by
August 31 will be placed on a wait list.
Due to the uncertainty of how the season will unfold, SKMHA will be accepting registration fees
in blocks this season. Our current plan is to have the first block of fees cover ice times for
September and October. The initial payment will be $200, which includes $45 for annual
insurance and administrative costs, plus $155 for ice costs. Our plan is to have each player
receive 2 ice times per week for a total of 16 sessions over the 2 month period. The ice costs
are based upon having approximately 16 players on the ice per hour. In the past we were able
to keep costs low by having up to 30 players on the ice at a time. Unfortunately with the current
physical distancing requirements, having a large number of players on the ice is not feasible in
order to create a productive playing environment. With that said, our current fee structure is
keeping costs to less than $10 per session.
As we approach November, a registration and payment plan for the next block will be
announced. SKMHA will accept registrations for players who did not participate in the first block,
provided there is a vacant position available to be filled.
**** All of the above is subject to change due to potential procedural amendments and we have
not yet received confirmation of Ice Allocation from the municipality.
How will Teams/Groups be selected?
At this time, there will be no tryouts for teams. SKMHA will create groups of approximately 16
players based upon the level of play from last season and knowledge of each player’s history of
play. More details will be released soon as to how the structure of play will occur. There is the
possibility of creating cohorts of up to 50 players, to create teams for game play.
SKMHA will not be selecting coaches for Rep or Local League teams until such time as OMHA
indicates that league play will proceed. We are also awaiting an official announcement as to
how coach qualifications for 2020-21 can be obtained. Our Coach Selection Committee will be
contacting Coaches and team staff members from last season seeking volunteers to lead
Groups for the start of the season.
Click on the link below for recently updated Return to Hockey details from OHF.